Thursday, 1 October 2009

Would You Rather?

"Would you rather have no fingernails or no eyebrows?" Robin and Jenny lie next to each other on the bed.
"What's there instead, just skin?" Jenny asks.
"Just skin."
She muses for a couple of seconds, "I'll take no fingernails."
"Why?" Robin proprs himself up on his elbow.
"Because you could glue on fake nails and be normal again."
"Good point."
"What would you pick?" she asks. She rests on her elbow too and meets his gaze. This is obviously serious business.
"I'd also go for no fingernails because eyebrows are really important," Robin replies sagely.
"Are they?" Jenny sounds surprised. Anatomy isn't really her thing, obviously.
"Yeah, without them sweat and rain would get into your eyes. And you know what else?"
"What?" Smiling, she strokes his fringe out of his eyes.
"I wouldn't have to worry aobut scratching you, when I tickled you!" He pounces. She squeals and squirms. He abates and he stoops to kiss her. She winds her arms around his neck.
"You're mean." She pouts.
"But you love me." She nods and they both smile huge smiles. He kisses her again, sinking into her, into the bed.
My breath fogs up the window pane.

Would You Rather? has been included in an fiction anthology called 'Shot Glass Stories' available on Lulu.

No comments: